This is one of many meetings! It occurred at 8pm in the Harvard Berkman Center.
See http://freeculture.org/blog/2007/05/15/our-crafty-plan/ for an overview.
- Results of DC meetings
- Future of Music?
Attendance: Fred, Elizabeth, Gavin, Karen, Nelson, Asheesh, Ben Mazer, Tim, C Budnick, Kevin, Jacob, Christina, Oliver Day, Greg, Jacob, Ben (Harvard), Dean
- Difficult to get FC chapters to come to conferences due to funding. Try to change location of conferences and get schools to fund transportation.
- Met with related organizations. Ways to support FC members: Provide internships, funding, speakers.
- One issue: Work with organizations about Peer-to-Peer. We need a stated position. Meeting presented reluctance to having national organization take a stated position about specific issues. Not every chapter is in agreement. General consensus is to write an "article" casting general FreeCulture philosophy into filesharing, and individual chapters can sign on.
- Discussion about OpenAccess campaign -- response to Representative's "bizarre" comment. If lobbying, could endanger 501c3 status.
- Presidential survey to see what positions of candidates are.
- Questions about alliances with other organizations: could spread us too thin, could cause bad press to be associated with certain organizations. We'd be doing "event-oriented" partnering. To build alliances, need "vocabulary building" so people who hold the same values can realize it.