Conference call on 6 p.m. EST, June 6th, 2005.
Attendance: Gavin, Nelson, Ben, Stephen, Elizabeth, Matt
Hello, Matt Burrows
Oh hello sir!
These kept coming up as general trends in recommendations from Matt.
- Using others (PK, EFF) as a model.
- More structure is necessary, for defensive purposes.
- articles of inc. for FC.o (formed) / bylaws
- what is the mission
- what is its activity
- student-run or hybrid? (hybrid. -Nelson)
- What happens after the SC stops being students? (phase out to advisory mode, and out of the org. -Gavin)
- may not need bylaws
- must say how officers/directors are chosen, according to AoI
- 501(c)3: Questions related to eligibility for tax writeoffs
- Self-funded: are member donations used to buy goods/services to benefit members?
- else: the understanding that donations will go towards the goals of the organization
Board, Officers, Directors
- FC.o run by board, votes and decides, all power comes from board
- day-to-day operation run by officers: Pres., VP, sec'y
- edicts can be general: "day-to-day operation", "organization"
- most officers expected to also be directors, because too few people -Matt
- hiring officers, maybe one or two. -Nelson
- Some states require particular set of officers; have to find out for FL. -Elizabeth
- This is a simple question of satisfying legal requirements. -Matt
- election of officers
- Officers ideally defined by clear job descriptions; helps org run more efficiently
The effect of structure on an unstructured FC.o
- Structure makes you more efficient/accountable. -Matt
- Minimizing the structured authority gives more practical power to the unstructured "grassroots" portion of the org.
- There is no hierarchy currently. -Elizabeth
- Must follow articles/bylaws.
- If not, then legal action may "pierce the veil" and attack individuals.
- Matt does not recommend vague bylaws as a way to allow for change.
- Increases with connection to chapters.
- Insurance: PK duplicate? May not get insurance at all.
Relation to student groups
- Membership is different campuses
- formal membership: group signs agreement with FC.o, agrees to abide by rules of FC.o
- unofficial relationship: allow use of name, possibly indemnify FC.o in case of problems
- Trademark licensing? tabled three times or so
- Liability: we can't soak up liability for all chapters. Won't control/direct chapters.
- FC.o is a resource for chapters to use. -Matt
- Can offer or deny recognition/resources as a FC chapter.
Assets and funding
- Merchandising: trademark
- mark usage must be defended actively
- EFF has a TM; maybe use their policies as a model?
- violation depends upon "operating in our space"
- Grant process: publishing articles/bylaws, tax deduction paperwork
- Accepting donations through PK
- have documentation of the agreement
- we might get legal help from them
- get a letter from them explaining the way donation works
- Licensing to solicit charitable donations (LA): not sure, follow a model
- get bylaws straight
- tax-exempt form (series of questions, described above)
- response time after done: 6 months
- lawyer/accountant help with the form recommended
- We've decided to finish this up in 2-3 weeks.