Archive:2011-03-20/Log

From FreeCulture.org
(Redirected from 2011-03-20/Log)
Jump to: navigation, search
[18:51:14] <astory> meeting in 10?
[18:56:11] <pyrak_> astory: in 5 now!
[18:56:14] <pyrak_> reporting for duty
[18:58:56] <-> pyrak_ is now known as pyrak
[18:59:03] <astory> I hope other people will be here :/
[18:59:09] <astory> skyfaller: paulproteus jeremyb ping
[18:59:14] <paulproteus> Yup
[18:59:18] <paulproteus> Ill take my 1 min
[19:00:02] <pyrak> wow, this git proposal is formal!
[19:00:04] <astory> http://piratepad.net/QSLYxVUmIf
[19:01:23] * astory has changed topic for #freeculture to: "Students for Free Culture || http://freeculture.org || Webteam meeting http://piratepad.net/QSLYxVUmIf || Website suggestions? - Report a bug at https://launchpad.net/web/ | SFC NYC conference is over http://conf11.freeculture.org/"
[19:01:36] <astory> should we wait for skyfaller?
[19:01:45] <paulproteus> Nah, let's rock it.
[19:01:50] <astory> ok, cool
[19:01:51] <paulproteus> He can read scrollback.
[19:01:55] <astory> let me pull up launchpad
[19:02:02] <pyrak> cool
[19:02:06] <pyrak> finishing reading the git proposal
[19:02:24] <astory> ok, so
[19:02:35] <astory> paulproteus: have you determined whether we're tracking sensitive stuff in svn?
[19:02:49] <paulproteus> astory: First, call "roll" to see who's here for the meeting!.
[19:02:54] <astory> oh, bleh
[19:02:55] <astory> what?
[19:02:56] <astory> roll?
[19:03:00] <paulproteus> Like, "roll call"
[19:03:03] <paulproteus> Who's here for the meeting?
[19:03:10] <astory> k
[19:03:13] -*- paulproteus is.
[19:03:14] <astory> well, I am
[19:03:22] <paulproteus> jeremyb: now's your chance to say hi!!
[19:03:25] <paulproteus> Also astory, URL for agenda?
[19:03:32] <astory> it's in the topic
[19:03:45] <paulproteus> Oh, right-o.
[19:04:11] <astory> pyrak: ping
[19:04:12] <paulproteus> Okay, so yeah, I have done nothing with checking fco svn for sensitive data.
[19:04:15] <paulproteus> I can do that right now, though.
[19:04:27] <pyrak> pong
[19:04:33] <astory> ok, cool, I'd like to get that figured out soon so I can start migrating stuff to git (if we decide to do that)
[19:04:46] <paulproteus> astory: Yeah -- I'm okay with checking that this instant.
[19:04:48] -*- paulproteus does so
[19:05:09] <pyrak> okay
[19:05:10] <astory> does anybody know why I can't adjust bug importances in launchpad?
[19:05:17] <pyrak> no, that sucks!
[19:05:22] <astory> it's greyed out :(
[19:05:36] <pyrak> checking if i can replicate...
[19:05:37] <paulproteus> Do we need to make you an awesome team manager thingamabob?
[19:05:43] -*- paulproteus keeps dealing with svn
[19:05:44] <greg-g> you probably have to be logged in and a member of the team that has that privelig
[19:05:45] <pyrak> yeah, i can change
[19:05:53] <greg-g> wow, spelling
[19:06:00] <paulproteus> Yay, hi greg-g!!
[19:06:08] <greg-g> :) hiya there paulproteus !
[19:06:18] <astory> I don't think I know you, could you introduce yourself?
[19:06:29] <greg-g> astory: ah, yes, sorry.
[19:06:53] <pyrak> ?def pyrak
[19:06:57] <pyrak> :(
[19:07:30] <greg-g> Hiya, I'm Greg, nominal member of SFC. Day-job is Copyright Specialist at the University of Michigan. nom de guerre "Thumper for Openness"
[19:08:19] <astory> cool!
[19:08:20] <greg-g> http://grossmeier.net/about for more. Also, perpetual IRC lurker and interjector of answers/tips when I have them. ;)
[19:08:41] <astory> ok, so moving down the list...
[19:08:41] <pyrak> greg-g: nom de guerre. never heard that and it rocks
[19:08:52] <astory> we've got this bug about marking comments as spam
[19:08:52] <pyrak> so apparently i suck at administrating our launchpad project
[19:08:57] <pyrak> or i don't have the right permissions
[19:09:09] <greg-g> pyrak: ;)
[19:09:11] <pyrak> but i can't figure out how to try to boost your permissions, astory. paulproteus can you poke it?
[19:09:18] <paulproteus> pyrak: Can do, right now
[19:09:22] <pyrak> rockin
[19:10:06] <pyrak> right, chapter aggregator
[19:10:13] <pyrak> which bug did i squash last week?
[19:10:17] -*- pyrak checks launchad
[19:10:23] <astory> chapter aggregator
[19:10:32] <astory> also, please help me keep the minutes working when you have a moment
[19:10:36] -*- paulproteus 's head bops for Alphaville, aw yeah
[19:11:11] -*- jeremyb looks up
[19:11:18] <astory> jeremyb: ohai!
[19:12:14] <paulproteus> astory: retry w/ launchpad
[19:12:33] <astory> paulproteus: success, I now have an edit button
[19:12:39] <pyrak> ah, right
[19:12:41] <pyrak> i remember what i fixed
[19:12:44] <pyrak> one of the front page feeds
[19:12:50] <pyrak> let me check to see if that is in fact fixed
[19:13:08] <paulproteus> BTW, all: What I did was add astory to the team that owns the "web" project on Launchpad.
[19:13:37] <pyrak> rockin
[19:13:47] <pyrak> so it looks like these feeds are stuff effing busted
[19:14:13] <pyrak> unless yale isn't actually on the list, and oct 2010 is actually the most recent update
[19:14:19] -*- pyrak looks further into this
[19:14:19] <astory> hmm, odd
[19:14:21] --> K`Tetch (~no@adsl-88-117-143.asm.bellsouth.net) has joined #freeculture
[19:14:21] <-- K`Tetch (~no@adsl-88-117-143.asm.bellsouth.net) has quit (Changing host)
[19:14:22] --> K`Tetch (~no@unaffiliated/ktetch) has joined #freeculture
[19:14:28] <astory> pyrak: can you look into it offline?
[19:14:35] <pyrak> yeah
[19:14:40] <pyrak> i'll append it to a todo list
[19:14:47] <astory> did you take the bug down?
[19:15:00] <pyrak> i think i did
[19:15:04] <astory> I'd like to finish running down the bugs
[19:15:10] <pyrak> i see
[19:15:16] <astory> paulproteus: did you find anything yet?
[19:15:17] <pyrak> hm
[19:15:24] <paulproteus> Not yet; I expect not to.
[19:15:33] <astory> ok, cool.  Close the bug when you do.
[19:15:43] <paulproteus> drop bug URL in the minutes for me?
[19:15:43] <astory> ok, jeremyb, did you make progress on the IRC integration?
[19:16:10] <pyrak> one thing that i see as pseudo-ridiculously-high importance right now is forum front-end for the mailing list
[19:16:15] <pyrak> can someone take that one on this afternoon?
[19:16:32] <paulproteus> Oh, huh, pyrak.
[19:16:34] <-- K`Tetch_ (~no@adsl-88-117-143.asm.bellsouth.net) has quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[19:16:36] <paulproteus> So re: that:
[19:16:39] <pyrak> yeah
[19:16:43] <paulproteus> I think we should switch to Phorum.
[19:16:50] <paulproteus> It'll be "fairly easy to do" with Phorum.
[19:17:02] <pyrak> i also want to honor the conversations that happened at the conf. as i recall, it was mostly sharing feelings and not so much actionable tasks
[19:17:12] <pyrak> but if someone understands actions we should know that!
[19:17:16] <paulproteus> By "switch to Phorum" I mean, "Create a new Phorum instance that's integrated with Mailman".
[19:17:29] <pyrak> paulproteus: rockin. that sounds totally doable
[19:17:30] <astory> pyrak: yeah, there wasn't much we could do there, really, I don't think there was any solution that made people happy
[19:17:32] <paulproteus> I'd be quite happy to be around for whoever wants to set that up, so that the person can ask me questions.
[19:17:39] <astory> ok, cool, let's do that
[19:17:56] <pyrak> astory or jeremyb, do either of you want to take that one?
[19:18:07] <paulproteus>     assert type(message) == type(u'nicode')
[19:18:08] <jeremyb> astory: i've done nothing with IRC integration. i would say i'm likely to do nothing on that front in the next 1.5 weeks (international travel and conference and all) but i should be able to in the 2 week after that
[19:18:12] <paulproteus> ^^ I am proud of the above pun
[19:18:31] <pyrak> heh!
[19:18:32] <astory> jeremyb: cool, just checking in
[19:19:05] <astory> ok, so it seems like the wordpress spam bug is waiting on a more detailed bug report from skyfaller; I'll ping him on that later
[19:19:20] <pyrak> non-actionable-so-far thought: our bug list is getting long, which is making it less inviting
[19:19:29] <astory> it's only got like 7 items!
[19:19:32] <pyrak> when it was ~3 things, it seemed like such a good idea to hop in and rock one
[19:19:51] <pyrak> https://bugs.launchpad.net/web/+bugs
[19:19:51] <astory> bah
[19:19:54] <jeremyb> so, paulproteus just kinda explained the phorum thing to me
[19:19:54] <pyrak> i disagree
[19:20:09] <pyrak> it's more than 7
[19:20:12] <pyrak> i agree, it's not so bad
[19:20:18] <astory> oh, there were a bunch I wasn't seeing for some reason
[19:20:55] <astory> this is taking a lot longer than I'd hoped, maybe we should move on.  I'd like to get everybody doing something for the next period though
[19:21:01] <astory> (unless you're busy or whatever)
[19:21:10] <pyrak> sounds good. i have things.
[19:21:23] <astory> ok, what precisely?
[19:22:01] <jeremyb> make me think about how mozilla works: they run mailman, someone else runs nntp, and it's hooked to google groups. those places are all gated to eachother but i think google groups is read only (new posts only through nntp/smtp)
[19:22:16] <pyrak> Parker's todo list
[19:22:16] <pyrak> * fix chapter hosting
[19:22:16] <pyrak> ** make it so that from the chapter db you can add something to the planet and it'll "just work"
[19:22:16] <pyrak> * add a nice bug huge enormous "subscribe to our list" link
[19:23:00] <astory> cool, sounds good
[19:23:03] <jeremyb> anyway, never heard of phorum before but i can investigate it. again on the same timeframe as IRC integration: no work in the next 1.5 weeks and should be able to by 4 weeks from now
[19:23:10] <astory> that's fine
[19:23:14] <pyrak> okaycool
[19:23:25] --> r2wj (~Kevin@c-98-217-64-168.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #freeculture
[19:23:26] <astory> ok, let's move on to the next topic; how and when do we want to have these meetings permanently
[19:23:31] <paulproteus> Hello r2wj!
[19:23:36] <r2wj> hey does anybody here have write access to @freeculture?
[19:23:38] <r2wj> hey paulproteus !
[19:23:40] <r2wj> hey astory !
[19:24:15] <pyrak> yo
[19:24:17] <astory> hi!
[19:24:17] <pyrak> yes, i have
[19:24:23] <pyrak> would you like to help post things?
[19:24:30] <r2wj> cool yes
[19:24:32] <r2wj> pm
[19:24:41] <r2wj> lots of people here this evening
[19:24:44] <pyrak> r2wj: you have shell and i think root. try poking around in ~freecult/passwords
[19:24:44] <r2wj> all the heavy hitters
[19:24:56] <pyrak> r2wj: did you know i'm moving to beantown next week?
[19:25:18] <r2wj> yes
[19:25:21] <r2wj> and I am fucking stoked about it
[19:25:24] <pyrak> astory: sorry
[19:25:25] <pyrak> hi
[19:25:31] <r2wj> now I can finally hit the clubs with you
[19:25:36] <pyrak> so sorry i didn't make scheduling this one go smoothly
[19:25:42] <pyrak> thanks for coming anyway
[19:25:51] <r2wj> did I walk into the middle of a meeting
[19:25:55] <pyrak> i think that in general sunday evenings could be great
[19:26:00] <pyrak> r2wj: yarp
[19:26:03] <astory> yeah, I like this time
[19:26:07] <astory> other opinions?
[19:26:25] <pyrak> this time kinda sucks in california, but i'm only here this weekend and next
[19:26:40] <pyrak> actually, so i think i won't be able to do it next sunday at this time
[19:26:41] <pyrak> hm
[19:27:02] <astory> that's fine, we can adjust individual meetings ad-hoc
[19:27:06] <pyrak> thinking outside the scope of next week though, more generally, something like 10pm would be nicer than 7pm eastern, i think
[19:27:07] <jeremyb> paulproteus said we weren't meeting next sunday?
[19:27:07] <pyrak> for me
[19:27:09] <pyrak> thoughts?
[19:27:26] <astory> but I want a general time.  I'm ok with any time in the evening
[19:27:30] <astory> jeremyb: we haven't decided
[19:27:36] <paulproteus> a) I like fortnightly.
[19:27:40] <paulproteus> b) I think this time is okay.
[19:27:48] <paulproteus> c) the 6pm variant is also okay with me.
[19:27:49] <jeremyb> well i'll be UTC+2 next sunday
[19:27:55] <jeremyb> and flying monday morning
[19:27:57] <pyrak> paulproteus: what about 10pm?
[19:28:02] <paulproteus> Much less good.
[19:28:07] <paulproteus> Like 10% success chance
[19:28:11] <pyrak> paulproteus: is that grendel's?
[19:28:14] <paulproteus> Ya
[19:28:17] <pyrak> okaycool
[19:28:20] <pyrak> i guess i want to go to that
[19:28:42] <astory> is 7 good?  It means I can have dinner and eat it too
[19:28:45] <pyrak> okay, let's keep this for now
[19:28:50] <paulproteus> I'm okay with 7.
[19:28:59] <pyrak> rockin
[19:28:59] <paulproteus> I prefer 6 but 7 is totally okay.
[19:29:07] <paulproteus> And today 7 was better than 6.
[19:29:12] <pyrak> i'll even put it on my effing calendar
[19:29:20] <astory> I prefer biweekly meetings, what are peoples' preferences?
[19:29:30] <pyrak> ps: having a SFC google-or-otherwise calendar could rock
[19:29:37] <astory> pyrak: I might make one
[19:29:55] <pyrak> biweekly is fine
[19:29:58] <jeremyb> paulproteus is full of jokes tonight!
[19:30:08] <jeremyb> i prefer biweekly
[19:30:11] <pyrak> i would like to say something like "it'd be great to have an email check-in on sunday evenings on off weeks"
[19:30:19] <paulproteus> I think that'd be quite nice.
[19:30:24] <paulproteus> To keep us moving along between meetings.
[19:30:30] <astory> that'd be fine, I'd like to hit a few hot bugs
[19:30:39] <pyrak> rockin
[19:30:41] <astory> but I don't want to deal with the overhead of a formal agenda
[19:30:49] <r2wj> SMS REMINDERS
[19:30:50] <pyrak> yeah, that makes so much sense
[19:31:01] <astory> r2wj: that's between you and your calendar
[19:31:05] <pyrak> the 37signals guys would have us never have meetings at all
[19:31:07] <paulproteus> I prefer human-based reminders for the "off" week.
[19:31:13] <pyrak> unless we need to make a decision on something or something
[19:31:48] <astory> I think that having actual meetings is important for motivation.  I know that on a lot of projects I feel motivated because I don't want to let someone down to their face
[19:31:54] <pyrak> (that's a sidenote. i just read re-use or whatever, by the 37signals guys. liked it.)
[19:32:07] <astory> ugh, my internet is crapping out and I lost piratepad access
[19:32:13] <pyrak> ohboy
[19:32:15] <pyrak> i'm still in there
[19:32:21] <pyrak> i'll take notes on this meetings decision
[19:32:22] <paulproteus> I'm having trouble with the pad also, fwiw.
[19:32:32] <pyrak> i just got back in
[19:32:37] <astory> there we are
[19:32:43] <pyrak> ive had better luck with typewith.me recently, fwiw
[19:32:57] <astory> is that an etherpad too?
[19:33:03] <astory> pyrak, you're duplicating
[19:33:06] <astory> look up
[19:33:58] <paulproteus> Wait, how did doing Phorum work get assigned to me? :P
[19:34:18] <paulproteus> I'd much rather mentor someone else in doing it.
[19:34:34] <pyrak> wait, now it's assigned to me
[19:34:35] <astory> ok, sfc google calendar with this event on it is at http://www.google.com/calendar/hosted/cornell.edu/embed?src=cornell.edu_j7agdj2i1qudpdo3qdlf7g11cc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York
[19:34:44] <pyrak> rockin!
[19:34:45] <astory> well, maybe
[19:34:56] <astory> oops, added event to the wrong one
[19:35:07] <pyrak> can you invite me to it?
[19:35:09] <pyrak> or something
[19:35:22] <pyrak> nvm, ill figure it out
[19:35:23] <astory> it should be public
[19:35:52] <paulproteus> pyrak: Sweetness.
[19:36:04] <paulproteus> I'm going to carefully read "Git Proposal" again now.
[19:36:14] <astory> ok, cool, please read the proposal, since that's next on the docket
[19:36:15] <paulproteus> I had some feedback earlier for you, astory; did that get addressed?
[19:36:20] <pyrak> astory: google username?
[19:36:25] <pyrak> (feel free to PM)
[19:36:32] <astory> paulproteus: some of it, could you re-iterate?
[19:36:40] <paulproteus> I'll try to find it in scrollback.
[19:36:44] <astory> pyrak: it should be public, click the link
[19:37:19] <pyrak> oh, there's a nice + button there
[19:37:22] -*- pyrak is embarassed
[19:37:39] -*- paulproteus also missed the + button
[19:37:44] <paulproteus> found it
[19:37:46] <jeremyb> pyrak: 3 ppl missed it
[19:38:42] <pyrak> okay, for this part i actually do need you, astory: can you give me permissions to modify the google calendar?
[19:38:50] <pyrak> meanwhile, i'll give thoughts on git migration
[19:38:52] <astory> let's see
[19:39:31] <astory> pyrak: I think I did
[19:39:44] <pyrak> i agree!
[19:40:16] <pyrak> i think having a calendar rocks so much
[19:40:22] <pyrak> things like document freedom day should be on it
[19:40:34] <astory> go right ahead and add
[19:40:34] <pyrak> adding now
[19:40:40] <astory> you also have sharing permissions
[19:41:37] <pyrak> rockin
[19:41:45] <pyrak> i'd like to do things like show this on the main site somewhere
[19:41:48] <astory> paulproteus: your comments?
[19:41:50] <pyrak> and tell the members of discuss to subscribe to it
[19:41:52] <paulproteus> astory: I'm making some simple edits first
[19:41:57] <astory> ok, cool
[19:42:01] <pyrak> i anticipate getting chewed out for it being google
[19:42:06] <pyrak> i'll add this to my todo list
[19:42:26] <astory> pyrak: if there's another solution, I'm all for it, but this is how I organize my calendar and it's convenient for me
[19:42:38] <astory> I'm also completely biased, so
[19:42:50] <pyrak> astory: me too maybe
[19:42:56] <astory> pyrak: you get a job?
[19:42:59] <paulproteus> astory: I updated the doc to say: "(With our svn setup, anyone can do a checkout.)"
[19:43:00] <pyrak> i don't have a host yet
[19:43:06] <pyrak> do you?
[19:43:11] <astory> pyrak: very nearly
[19:43:18] <paulproteus> pyrak: Do you want to work on Google Page Speed?
[19:43:19] <astory> anyway, this is for later
[19:43:22] <paulproteus> If so I can maybe find you a lead.
[19:43:29] <paulproteus> But post-meeting
[19:43:56] <paulproteus> https://code.google.com/p/modpagespeed/
[19:44:05] <astory> ok, so do any of you have comments, then?
[19:44:08] <paulproteus> astory: I'm confused re: Git proposal
[19:44:28] <paulproteus> You write, "The server's running code is simply a local repository that tracks the blessed one."
[19:44:42] <paulproteus> But to do that, you'll have to keep things like WordPress in our git repo, or otherwise help people pull it.
[19:44:51] <paulproteus> Right now, fco_svn just contains a random smattering of things.
[19:44:53] <astory> I shouldn't have said code
[19:44:55] <paulproteus> It doesn't contain the entire website + its config.
[19:45:01] <astory> I meant whatever the server is serving on the repo
[19:45:05] <paulproteus> Oh, I see!
[19:45:26] <astory> but I was under the impression that ultimately we wanted to be able to download a copy of fc.o and hack on it locally
[19:45:27] <paulproteus> I argue we should simply Not Bother running a git daemon on the server.
[19:45:37] <paulproteus> And just rely on e.g. Gitorious.
[19:46:01] <astory> I agree, there is a large advantage in that gitorious manages ssh keys through their user manager rather than us having to do it manually
[19:46:03] <paulproteus> So it seems like this Git_proposal is really, "Move fco_svn to use git" rather than "Make the website be insta-hackable like Diaspora", right?
[19:46:19] <astory> paulproteus: yes.  That is a long-term goal, but not the immediate one
[19:46:58] <paulproteus> astory: Cool, then I like the proposal so far.
[19:47:09] <astory> pyrak: jeremyb: comments?
[19:47:10] <paulproteus> Changes suggested: 1) Make it clear that we won't provide a git daemon.
[19:47:25] <paulproteus> 2) Make it clear that it's not about making it insta-hackable, just about where the fco_svn data gets stored.
[19:47:40] <paulproteus> 3) (Controversial) Right now, fco_svn is one big svn repo that contains a bunch of other subprojects.
[19:47:45] <pyrak> my one problem is that i'm not convinced that this actually makes things not more hard for sorta-noob hackers to contribute
[19:47:55] <paulproteus> I think that each subproject should have its own separate git repo.
[19:48:11] <pyrak> paulproteus: that's controversial!
[19:48:14] <jeremyb> astory: i don't think i had any when i read it the first time, haven't read it today
[19:48:22] <astory> pyrak: well, it means that they don't have to ask for our permission as much, and it's much faster for us to grant permission
[19:48:27] <astory> jeremyb: it hasn't changed much
[19:48:28] -*- jeremyb doesn't get 20 23:45:01 < astory> I meant whatever the server is serving on the repo
[19:48:43] <paulproteus> 4) A benefit that you don't mention is that we get a web view of the code.
[19:48:45] <astory> jeremyb: "whatever's in the repository now"
[19:48:51] <astory> that's true!
[19:49:00] <astory> although we shouldn't say code for the reasons discussed above
[19:49:04] <paulproteus> (re: 4) pyrak, that's one adfvantage)
[19:49:05] <pyrak> astory: yeah, that makes sense. i guess it's harder in that she needs to pull and then push to somewhere else and ask for someone higher up to pull from there
[19:49:21] <astory> yes, that's true
[19:49:38] <pyrak> especially if she doesn't already have a nice thing to push to
[19:49:44] <pyrak> but we could give her something like that...
[19:49:47] <astory> but it's actually a little better - they can do that all on their own, and then walk away, and we merge later
[19:49:49] <pyrak> or maybe gitorious makes that easy?
[19:49:54] <astory> pyrak: gitorious makes it pretty easy
[19:50:06] <astory> and the pull request can be done all in gitorious
[19:50:12] <pyrak> then as long as we write a wiki page walking ppl through that, then i think this rocks
[19:50:17] <astory> right, cool
[19:50:22] <pyrak> (fwiw, we already have a web view of our svn repo)
[19:50:34] <paulproteus> (pyrak: it doesn't do syntax highlighting, so it doesn't count :P)
[19:50:59] -*- pyrak mumbles something about a 1-line php script i could wrap around it
[19:51:14] <paulproteus> I have a preference to "outsource" things where possible.
[19:51:21] <pyrak> no, i agree
[19:51:25] <paulproteus> pyrak + astory: What do you think of my "separate repositories for separate projects" thing?
[19:51:41] <astory> paulproteus: re subprojects:  I like it.  one problem with git is that subprojects are not handled gracefully
[19:51:44] <pyrak> i'm worried about key bin proliferation
[19:51:57] <paulproteus> astory: So, check out http://gitorious.org/openhatch
[19:51:57] <astory> pyrak: I don't know what you mean
[19:51:59] <pyrak> but i agree with astory's point made just now
[19:52:05] <paulproteus> On Gitorious, one "project" can have many "repositories"
[19:52:17] <astory> ok, sure, but that's just semantics
[19:52:20] <pyrak> oh, and you put all the keys for the project in one place?
[19:52:24] <paulproteus> pyrak: Ya
[19:52:29] <astory> moving content between repositories, merging or splitting is hard
[19:52:31] <pyrak> if that's true, then i'm cool with multiple repos
[19:52:51] <astory> pyrak: yeah, the main key will just be whoever controls access to the repos, and to pulling to the server
[19:53:26] <pyrak> i'm not sure what that means
[19:53:48] <pyrak> (but i understand that its supposed to reassure me. and im not worried anymore)
[19:53:57] <astory> pyrak: on gitorious, you control who can push to a repository.  we can control who pushes to the blessed repository thereby
[19:54:15] <astory> and anybody who can edit ~freecult on the server can pull and modify the server
[19:54:22] <astory> regardless of the number of repositories
[19:55:35] <astory> paulproteus: the main issue I have right now is whether to migrate to a monolithic repository for the moment or do the splitting
[19:55:41] <paulproteus> splitting!
[19:55:43] <paulproteus> git-svn has support for it.
[19:55:51] <paulproteus> It's way saner, IMHO.
[19:56:01] <pyrak> astory were you planning to do git-svn?
[19:56:04] <astory> paulproteus: ok, so I need help in identifying what parts to split out
[19:56:08] <astory> pyrak: yes, for the initial merge
[19:56:12] <astory> s/merge/move
[19:56:16] <paulproteus> astory: Cool; we can talk through that post-meeting if you like.
[19:56:17] <astory> and then after that, not at all
[19:56:20] <astory> ok, cool.
[19:56:21] <jeremyb> isn't there an svn2git?
[19:56:24] --> Channel6 (~blah@adsl-75-36-250-100.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net) has joined #freeculture
[19:56:24] <-- Channel6 (~blah@adsl-75-36-250-100.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net) has quit (Changing host)
[19:56:24] --> Channel6 (~blah@unaffiliated/yourkicks) has joined #freeculture
[19:56:29] <paulproteus> jeremyb: Yeah, it's called git-svn (-:
[19:56:31] <astory> you can also use github to do it
[19:56:37] <astory> which probably just uses git-svn
[19:57:10] <pyrak> rockin! astory: will you own this git migration process?
[19:57:22] <astory> yes
[19:57:24] <paulproteus> astory: https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git is a wrapper for git-svn that you might possibly like, fwiw
[19:57:37] <astory> I'll look.  git-svn can be hairy at times
[19:57:52] <pyrak> astory: would you like to set a goal for next sunday, or the sunday after?
[19:58:07] <astory> we'll see :D
[19:58:17] <pyrak> okaycool
[19:58:17] <astory> let's say this sunday, I'm on break this week and theoretically can be productive
[19:58:26] <pyrak> i propose that we are ready to hack
[19:58:36] <astory> yeah, let's end this meeting
[19:58:44] <paulproteus> astory: http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=763 also
[19:58:46] <astory> someone want to volunteer to get the transcript up?
[19:59:19] <r2wj> hey pyrak can you get me that twitter password pleeeeassee :)
[19:59:30] <pyrak> r2wj: you couldn't find?
[19:59:36] <pyrak> ~freecult/passwords
[19:59:40] <r2wj> it just said 'WE SHOULD PUT THIS HERE'
[19:59:43] <r2wj> for twitter
[19:59:43] <r2wj> haha
[19:59:48] <paulproteus> astory: I can rock it.
[19:59:52] <r2wj> ..i hope that wasnt the password..
[19:59:52] <pyrak> note: identica posts to twitter, so should post to identica
[20:00:00] <pyrak> r2wj: naw
[20:00:01] <r2wj> OoOoOoo I didn't know that
[20:00:04] <astory> paulproteus: thanks
[20:00:06] <r2wj> tx pyrak
[20:00:13] <r2wj> never used identica before
[20:00:17] <paulproteus> pyrak: It'd be great if you'd write a "Web team explainer" about posting to our identi.ca/twitter
[20:00:21] <pyrak> super easy--just like twitter
[20:00:35] <pyrak> paulproteus: yeah, i agree
[20:00:49] <paulproteus> pyrak: I'll file a bug for you then
[20:00:51] <pyrak> i'm still secretly worried about documentation splintering with explainers and non-explainers
[20:00:56] <pyrak> okaycool
[20:01:01] <paulproteus> pyrak: Yeah, I see what you mean.
[20:01:06] <paulproteus> re: splintering
[20:01:17] <paulproteus> One day we can use transclusion to make it less so.
[20:01:22] <pyrak> maybe next meeting we should work on moving everything in the current site documentation to explainers and recipes?
[20:01:30] <pyrak> also, shouldnt identica posting be a recipe?
[20:01:37] <paulproteus> pyrak: Yeah, eventually I agree with you re: recipe
[20:02:06] <astory> minutes go here http://wiki.freeculture.org/2011-03-20
[20:02:40] <paulproteus> pyrak: Maybe good for Cthurs?
[20:02:49] <paulproteus> https://bugs.launchpad.net/web/+bug/739058
[20:03:16] <paulproteus> OHHHHH IShadowed is a pun!
[20:03:54] <astory> ?
[20:04:06] <paulproteus> Eye Shadowed
[20:05:55] <astory> paulproteus: I need to eat dinner, can we catch up on git later?
[20:06:12] <paulproteus> astory: Yes-ish; I'll be online until 9pm or so, then offline until tomorrow probably.
[20:06:25] <astory> ok, I'll probably try to catch you tomorrow
[20:06:27] <paulproteus> astory: Cool
[20:06:29] <paulproteus> My next steps:
[20:06:32] <paulproteus> * Email the list with a link to minutes
[20:06:39] <paulproteus> * Ask Cthurs to work on https://bugs.launchpad.net/web/+bug/739058
[20:06:47] <paulproteus> * Be done thinking about sfc for now.
[20:06:52] <astory> :D
[20:06:52] <paulproteus> Anything else I should add to that?
[20:07:39] <astory> swat bugs?
[20:07:52] -*- paulproteus gets shifty-eyed.
[20:08:56] -*- jeremyb also heads to eat
[20:09:05] <paulproteus> uh oh, dinner emergency
[20:10:59] <pyrak> i'm also having something of a dinner emergency
[20:13:16] <pyrak> in that i'm hungry
[20:13:26] <pyrak> does that count as a dinner emergency?
[20:13:44] -*- pyrak goes and munches, then comes back and squashes bugs, then goes and eats for real maybe
[20:13:45] <pyrak> or something