(Redirected from 2005-01-16)
Minutes for the conference call on Sunday, January 16, 2005
- We need examples of the principles of Free Culture at work to better demonstrate our purpose
- The Little Mermaid from Han Christian Anderson's original story
- Steamboat Willie
- ...or just about everything they've ever done.
- The Bible
- Modern translations (like the NIV) explicitly state certain permissions to quote and use the verses...
- We may want to avoid this example because it could open a can of worms about the origins of the bible, etc.
- Technology has changed the landscape, and we need to restore the balance.
- Should be one of the central/first points
- Talking about how laws have already changed
- Example of how technology both allows and restricts our freedoms
- John Stewart on Crossfire... how many more people saw it online than when it was broadcast due to the freedom to copy?
- "Technology is a tool, but it is a tool that allows for new extremes"
- Things to revise under "What Are the Goals of Free Culture?"
- "...allowing works to become part of the public domain after a finite period of time."
- "We see a world in which new and emerging technologies are treated like the works-in-progress they are, rather than simply denounced as evil by existing corporate monopolies."
- We believe technology should have a chance to mature and develop before it should be killed by fear of the governing body
- The DVD
- Could we use clips of other speeches, etc. to assemble a comprehensive video?
- Need to get them into open formats, and more ready-made for general campuses
Wednesday the 19th?
- This call wasn't very productive... we need to either 1) Find a better way to organize changes/editing of the packet, etc. or 2) Have a stronger idea of what needs to be changed.
- Either way, we need people to look at the wiki and make changes, etc.
Ideas, other projects
A Free Culture Garden (or Zoo...)