Archive:Intro To Web Team
So you've decided to join the web team? Sweet! We can use all the help we can get. This page is the place to start understanding the website's infrastructure so that you can help hack! There's also a more detailed Website documentation, if that was what you were looking for. We have Web_Team#Meetings sometimes.
Chatting Us up on IRC
We chat in #freeculture on irc.freenode.net. If you know nothing about IRC, fear not! We have an easy guide to IRC (click). Making a practice of idling in the IRC channel and asking questions is a great way to begin to get involved with the website and the organization in general!
Connecting to it
Instead of using FTP, we use SSH (click to learn how to use it).
It can be confusing, so we should explain it.
- backups/ - Old files we probably aren't using, but we somehow don't want to delete them.
- cache/ - Cache files for things like downloaded calendars, Planet feeds, etc.
- config/ - Various configuration files, currently only for our (broken) calendaring system
- chapter-hosting/ - Since most chapter websites are similar, this is where their files are stored
- domains/ - Major domains we host, like:
- domains/freeculture.org/ - main website
- domains/blogshine.org/ - blogshine.org
- lib/ - (PHP mostly) libraries to support various web apps or other software we have installed
- Maildir/ - Email storage for the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox
- passwords/ - Where most passwords get stored.
- passwords/mysql_passwords - a list of all the MySQL passwords we have. This is used by a nightly cron job that saves all the MySQL databases to files.
- planet/ - configuration and software for the program "Planet", which we use for making our feeds for the front page.
- software/ - Various code that we use or wrote.
- subdomains/ - Code that handles redirects for chapter subdomains
- subversion-repository/ - The svn repository storage
- tmp/ - Temporary directory for files made that are known to later be able to be deleted.
Other directories that are just distractions:
- gavinfacebook/ - A directory Gavin and Asheesh made
- svn/ - A directory Asheesh uses for storing his personal configuration files, like .bashrc
The Back End
(this should include the software behind the sections, where they are in the document tree, and any necessary info for using/administrating them)
The "Main" Site
The mailing lists are powered by something. These include some chapter mailing lists.
The Planet is powered by something else.
There are also a few chapter websites at chaptername.freeculture.org. These consist of any combination of a blog, a wiki, and a mailing list. See Hosting chapters.