Archive:Google talk with Gaim and Pidgin
|Instant Messaging||Web Browsing||E-mail & News||
Google Talk is Google's Instant Messenging service. a Jabber/XMPP service, but due to it's integration with gmail the initial configuration is a little different than setting up a normal Jabber/XMPP account (which takes all of about three clicks). If you have installed gaim then you can create a gmail account and start using Google Talk with Gaim.
For demonstration purposes:
- Gmail Account: JohnDoe75@gmail.com
Setting up Google Talk with Gaim
- Select Tools Ã‚Â» Accounts.
- Select Add in the Accounts window.
- Select Protocol: Jabber.
- Type Screen Name: JohnDoe75 in the first textbox.
- Type Server: gmail.com in the second textbox.
- Click Show more options to reveal the Connect Server.
- Type in Connect server: talk.google.com.
- Click Save
- (Change any other options such as Save password, Resource, or Auto-connect as you prefer first, of course)
- Select JohnDoe75@Gmail.com/Gaim and click Online
Using your Google Talk account you chat with with anyone on who uses Google Talk, Jabber, or any other XMPP service or client!
If you're looking for information on using Gaim with GIM, Google IM, Google Instant Messenger, Google and XMPP, Google's Jabber or Google Talk you're at the right place!
Original Smashworld Post: I'm on Google Talk right now