Difference between revisions of "Archive:A2KDev"
m (Unprotected "A2KDev")
Revision as of 02:25, 10 January 2009
A2K Website Development Notes
- clean, friendly design
- accessible to all browsers, including text-only browsers / visually impaired
- easy to use backend for updating/editing content
- need to decide CMS: drupal, mambo, mir, or other?
Site sections [to be prioritized and arranged in categories]
- Press Releases
- Access to Knowledge Country Watch List A2KWatch
- [first poster here: http://www.cptech.org/a2k/how2saya2k-draft1.pdf]
- Links [?]
- Logo competition
- History of A2K
- A2K Treaty text [May 9th draft: http://www.cptech.org/a2k/consolidatedtext-may9.pdf]
- Short summary explanations for libraries, software patents, essential medicines, etc. (work on this list of issue areas)
- provide RSS feed(s)
- Pull RSS feeds from relevant sites: A2kFeeds is an ongoing list of sites to pull from.
- PayPal (or alternative) to gather campaign donations.
- host logo design competition. means media gallery and user rating compatible w/CMS.
- support a mass email activist list (can base on DIA tools or other in dev by protest.net)
- Petition(s). An ongoing text of support for A2K. To build email list and deliver 'pressure' at key points in IP negotiations.
- internationalization of key materials (include open translation tool?)
- moderated open publishing area
- SMS list (a la IMC breaking news text for RNC)
- wiki, with point person/people responsible for pulling comments from list and entering on wiki
- possible tools for internal campaign communication including: transmail (autotranslation for mailing lists developed by CoopdelSur); chat room coordination (see irc.indymedia.org); regular int'l audio/videoconference (skype/iChat), wiki for transparency (meeting minutes, materials for translation, etc.)
- existing email list (A2K)
Graphic design needs:
- site header
- web banner (for other sites to use w/link)
- poster for download [first poster here: http://www.cptech.org/a2k/how2saya2k-draft1.pdf]
- flash and short film contests
- Audio PSAs (Maybe do competition through Odeo. I know, not graphic but...)
- etc. (tshirts, mousepads, screen saver, firefox plugin, videogame, etc.)
- What is A2K?
- History of A2K
- Short topical summaries by area?
- Logo competition call that specifies the conceptual/aesthetic/technical requirements.
- June 15: start work, elaborate workplan, more detailed calendar.
- July 1: tech tool review to meet expressed campaign needs and priorities. begin building website w/selected tools.
- August 1: beta version of site ready for feedback from existing A2K community.
- September 1: site goes public w/high profile event. For example, launch w/announcement of thought thieves (or other A2K themed) shorts contest.
- A2K Ukrainian site: http://www.a2k.org.ua/
- A2K campaign will not only be focused on the A2K treaty
- Want to be able to highlight country level activity
- Group of academics are putting together A2K watchlist: positive reverse 301 list (list of countries with best access to knowledge).
- Discussion in Chile on exceptions for libraries and blind. trying to push it regionally.
- Info sharing about best practices
- e-activists lists sound good
- donations ok but no immediate plans to make it 501(c)3
- Most important community to start with is NGOs, government delegates, people involved in int'l negotiations.
- Not targeted to geeks.
- FAQ sections. I'll write first texts and then consult with folks from different constituencies.
- Communicate what A2K is about.
- Positive campaign.
- Accessibility is really important - text only, accessible for blind only
- need to have slogans. positive. (Access to Knowledge. It's a human right. Access to Knowledge. Make it happen. Access to Knowledge. It's Essential.)
- Try to minimize bashing corporations.
- It's also about rights. Not only exceptions. For example, right to access government information.
A2K logo ideas
- Here is a logo from Ukrainian A2K site:
simple icons to represent each branch of knowledge A2K will give access to.
- pharma - pill
- ag - seed, plant, or flower
- software - string of binary code
- music (av material) - soundwave
represent chain of human knowledge production - building on the past
- a spiral?
- pyramid? but that would need an apex.
- circle of people all transmitting to each other?
A2k website dev timeline, July 5-Aug 1
- create timeline (today)
- establish preliminary & priority functional requirements (today)
- decide on CMS (by July 7)
- install CMS (by July 12)
- design template (by July 19) [question: temporary logo?]
- configure sections/components/blocks (by July 27)
- add content (by Aug 1)