Open University Campaign
This page exists to help develop SFFC's (inter)national campaign to ensure that universities are best configured to create, share, and discover academic research and scholarship. Feel free to add/edit.
The project consists of: 1) creating a framework to measure key indicators of openness; 2) conducting research into university policies and assigning "openness" scores; 3) dissemination of findings and advocacy for more openness.
A Note on Naming
Although originally termed the "Open University Campaign," to avoid confusion and trademark concerns, we've rebranded to the "Open Education Campaign." The focus remains the same.
The Wheeler Declaration
An open university is one in which
- The research the university produces is open access.
- The course materials are open educational resources.
- The university embraces free software and open standards.
- If the university holds patents, it readily licenses them for free software, essential medicines, and the public good.
- The university network reflects the open nature of the internet.
where "university" includes all parts of the community: students, faculty, administration. The Declaration was a joint statement of the community at the [Free Culture 2008 Conference] in Berkeley, CA.
Open University Promotional Materials in progress
Open University Report Cards in progress
FC2010 Conference in development; will highlight OU work
8/11/09 — Open University call. Time TBA
List of Open Universities
- Indira Gandhi National Open University- India
- Open Universities Australia
- Maharani Laxmi Bai Medical Open University
- United Kindom Open University
Versions of this document: