SFC Board transition conf call June 2nd, 2010
- Parker Phinney
- Parker Higgins
- Aditi Rajaram
- Kevin Donovan
- Ben Moskowitz
- Kevin Driscoll
- Adi Kamdar
wiki page: http://wiki.freeculture.org/Board10/2010-5-02 we'll copy/paste these notes to this wiki page at the end of the mtng.
agenda: X* finalize agenda X* Recent work of the outgoing board (Faculty Advisory Board, fundraising, etc.) X* Alumni advisory board?
- "Everyday" tasks for the Board
- Long-term tasks for the Board - order of importance too: what needs to happen soon? what do we need to keep in mind for the next year?
- SFC "Census"
- We don't know these SFC Details - size (# of folk), spread (# of schools)
- Details gathered about SFC... size? membership? spread?
- Treasury tasks: monies (# of monies)
- Incorporation tasks: 501c(3)
- Recent Board work - faculty contacts, maintaining relations, etc?
the meeting will be over when we finish addressing each of the agenda items
- 1 Faculty Advisory Board
- 2 Board of Trustees
- 3 Progress toward establishing organizational structures
- 4 Web refresh
- 5 "Everyday" tasks
- 6 Long-term Tasks
- 7 Conference 2011
- 8 Election
- 9 Census
- 10 Monies + Nonprofit
- 11 Alumni connections
- 12 Paid web support
- 13 Merch
- 14 New chapters
- 15 TODO
- 16 Next meeting
Faculty Advisory Board
- First step toward hiring, fundraising
- Long-term benefit: formalizing relationships, intellectual kinship
- Good asset for approaching donors, grant applications
- Commitment: phone call every 6 mos
- Short-term goal: get FAB on phone w/ incoming board
- Might have to wait til fall semester
Board of Trustees
- Responsible for fundraising
- Hoped to do it before new board
- But more time-consuming than we thought
- Short term? 6 mos?
- Take advantage of summer
- Important for grant proposals
- List of potential trustees are in a gdoc
- Next steps?
- Need assets: flyer about free culture with clear vision, history, accomplishments, etc.
- Essentially a strong "pitch" + talking points;
- See gdocs regarding vision and "one pagers"
Progress toward establishing organizational structures
- Advising from Public Knowledge
- See gdocs regarding vision and "one pagers"
- Timeline: before December
- Current site doesn't communicate who we are, what we're doing
- Need to bring on-going campaigns "front and center"
- Integrate identwittica, revive planet.freeculture.org?
- Next step: "re-map" brainstorm
- First step: Review last 12 mos of email and list the little everyday tasks
- Some of these could be broken down and assigned to just one person
- Second step: New board parses list / creates roles / something?
- Simplify, clarify
- n-step: Hiring someone to take on these daily tasks (see below)
- Hiring someone to take on these daily tasks
- Figuring out the details of their position.
- How to find them?
- How to pay them?
- Note: this is *in* the bylaws already
- Some materials (gdocs) already exist
Decide by July 1st
- Start early... at least 4 months before. 6 months is ideal.
- Include election in the conference agenda?
- Historically: fall election, spring conference (historically = one-time precedent)
- But totally up for revision
- Might be the same event
- Need to create position / committee outside of board to manage this
- Would be great to have these folks make decisions about running the election
- Completely off the plate of the board
- 38 people emailed us about starting new chapters this year
- How can we bootstrap this?
- Revive "Year One"? This could be a group of SFC people outside of the board?
- Next step: follow up with new chapters
- Next step: follow up on existing chapters
- Ask questions:
- What resources do you need?
- What sorts of things/activities/events have you been doing?
- What materials can we send?
Monies + Nonprofit
- We have money
- We were underbudget for the conference; we were able to fly a lot of folk
- We need to do 501c(3) stuff this summer
- Alumni Advisory Board?
- Alumni network? Mailing list?
- Task for new board
Paid web support
- Few hours a week
- Separate paid position from the coordinator
- Assuming that the coordinator does not necessarily have the tech skills
- Assess current tshirt situation
- How much do we owe to Fred?
- Can we simply buy him out? We have the cash.
- Tshirts, buttons, etc?
- can we get girl-cut tshirts?
- Donovan has a bunch of shirts
- CC (in SF) has a bunch of shirts and we might need to get them back from them
- Aditi can get some of the shirts from Fred if he has any still
- Registration help
- Organizing support ("year one")
- Follow up, conact
- "Buddy system"?
- Ben M will give everyone access to the appropriate gdocs
- Ben will spearhead re-imagining the web site
- Potential NYC ("secks n teh city") f2f/afk/irl hack sesh, Parker + Ben + Aditi + ?
- Driscoll can lead the "everyday tasks" review
- Donovan will follow up on people on the new chapter list (this is in a gdoc, too)
- By July 1: Determine rough date / location for 2011 conference
- Driscoll leading conversation around "Year one" support for new chapters
- Andrea will come up with a proposal for merch
- Driscoll and Aditi will reimburse Fred for all the monies we owe him
- Update website and announce new board
- EVERYONE: send Ben a boom-headshot / glamour shot
- Parker adds new people to board@
- July 1, 5pm PT / 8pm ET